Thursday, July 9, 2009

Carmen & Mike {February 1st, 2005}

Second, he is the most important person in my life and always will be. I can't imagine my life without him. We first met in high school in 2003 (sophomore year) when we were sitting at the same lunch table and he just happened to be sitting with his guy friends and me with my girl friends. It was kind of a boys vs. girls type of situation for pretty much the whole year. I have to say, I hated him that first year. I thought he was way too cocky and full of himself and really didn't care about other people. Well, that year passed and we both played really mean jokes on each other (like he gave me a fake number instead of his and I told him to meet me somewhere and ditched him) but all those childish games stopped when we ended up at the same lunch table the following year and he was the only guy out of his entire group that had that lunch period so he ended up sitting with a bunch of girls and one of his friends. Well, I was REALLY crushing on his best friend Jonathan (who sat with us) and I was really happy that he ended up asking me out for homecoming. I was SO excited because he was really cute and a really nice guy (I was also pretty vulnerable at this time since my ex-boyfriend had broken up with me over an IM and left me hanging a few months prior to Jonathon asking me to the dance) so I figured I would give it a shot. We went to homecoming, had a great time, kissed quite a bit and then he tried to invite me in his house. I told him no, I had to get home and he tried so hard to get me to go home with him (can you see where this is going now?) but I just stuck to my guns and told him no. In the days/weeks to follow he tried really hard to get me to date him, like boyfriend/girlfriend, and I told him I wasn't ready for that yet since I was still feeling really vulnerable. Eventually he gave up but he would still come up at least once every two weeks to get me to be with him.
In the mean time, I was really getting to know Mike and going out on "dates" with him and eventually he asked me to be his girlfriend. He came to my work and surprised me with flowers when he asked me and unfortunately for him, I turned him down. I still wasn't ready for anything yet. I didn't want to hurt him if for some reason my ex wanted me back and I would want to leave him (stupid 16 year old reasons) but I made him promise that we would still be friends. We were only friends for a few weeks more before he finally convinced me to be his girlfriend. Obviously, we have been together ever since. We have been together since February 1st, 2005 and we got engaged while on post-deployment leave on March 14th, 2009.

We got married on August 1st, 2010 and it was the best day of our lives. I couldn't have asked for a better day to get married. Everything was perfect. Shortly after we got married, we packed up and took the 22 hour drive to North Carolina where we are stationed. We are in the process of getting settled into our new apartment and slowly making it our home. We are moving once again sometime in June of 2011 to Florida where we will begin again. =)

No comments: