Friday, June 18, 2010

Fun Post!

For once, I'm not participating in Flackback Friday but I will be doing some of the other fun bloggy things today and I'm sure you will find out some wonderous info about me!

First, I'm doing Brandi from Excess Baggage. She has a question of the week and I figured this would be interesting! So go to her site, participate and link up! =)

"One week left to live, where would you go? You can choose to have an unlimited amount of money or you can choose to abide by how much is in your account at the moment."

Well, if I had one week to live (being that money was unlimited) I would take my entire family on vacation somewhere for the first few days and spend all the time in the world with them along with Mr. M of course. After maybe Wednesday, I would send my family home (after probably many tears) and spend the rest of my time alone with my husband telling him all the things I couldn't tell him before and explaining to him how much I love him and how much he means to me. Family is the most important thing to me so I would always choose to be with them during my last days over everyone else. I do think I would make a conscious effort to call my friends and tell them how much they mean to me as well.


Okay, now onto my second bloggy question (more like questions) of the day from Mel at Head in the Game, Heart in the Sand!

1. Have you ever participated in a major volunteer event (Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, United Way, etc)?
Yes, I have participated in Habitat for Humanity in high school and I also did the Relay for Life for the American Cancer Society last year.
2. Do you volunteer locally on your post (or in your city)? Explain.
Not exactly. I did a lot of volunteer work at school but since I've been home I haven't had time to do much of anything. However, once I move down to NC I plan on participating a lot more.
3. Have you ever done a charity walk/run/ride/etc...?
Yes, as stated above I did the Relay for Life which is a walk for cancer and I wanted to do the ride for Diabetes but for some reason my mom wouldn't let me.
4. Do you have a charity or other organization that you support regularly with your time, money or in other ways? Share a little about it.
Well, through my work I'm fundraising for the American Heart Association since my mother has a heart defect. We are only allowed to ask for one dollar at a time but I'm very happy to say that since I started working two weeks ago, I have raised over $50! (Not very impressive but it's still something!) Also, being a non-profit lover I plan on expanding the awareness of Sickle Cell Anemia which is the disease that my sister has and the one that my niece potentially died from. I want to start a foundation in honor of them one day so hopefully that will come true!
5. Are there any resources or advice for volunteering in your area so that other women can get out there and help too?
Sure! The internet is a great resource for non-profit organizations. There are many out there that you can look up if you have a personal connection like someone who has cancer or a heart defect or even a child who was born pre-maturely. There are charities for just about everything and I encourage you to participate in helping others who are less fortunate that we are or are struggling. It's so rewarding afterwards and you won't realize it until you try it so please go out there and give it a whirl!


So, there you have it! I'm a huge non-profit fan so I really push people to donate. Whether it's time, money, or even a couple cans of food here and there. Everything helps!

Hope you enjoyed my post! An update will come tomorrow!

1 comment:

Brittany Sommer said...

Wooooooo comments work now!!! I wish I could remember what I was going to say about this post haha. It's a fun idea though!