Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Deployment Survivor

Hey all! I'm currently linking up to a lovely blog Goodnight Moon! by Amber and she encourages all of us who have either gone through deployment(s) or currently going through a deployment to share their story.


So, I'm a deployment survivor! I went through one deployment two years with my (then boyfriend) husband which was really unexpected. It was summer of 2008 and I got the phone call from him telling me that he was being deployed... in two weeks. WHAT!? That came out of nowhere and I wasn't even going to get to see him before hand. Luckily, he was able to convince his command to give him a few days of leave to come home and be with me so he came home for 4 days. Those 4 days I took in every detail of him like his smell, the way he kissed me, the way he felt against me. After he left Chicago, he was on base for a week before he left the states to deploy to Iraq. I remember his last phone call like it was yesterday. I cried on the phone to him and told him I didn't want him to leave. Unfortunately, it was too late and he was saying goodbye to me.

After that, I didn't hear from him for a month when he had made it into the middle east. He still had not yet made it to Iraq but I was so happy to hear his voice. We could only talk for about 10 minutes but I was just so happy that it didn't really bother me. Luckily, he left in late July so I only had another month until school started and I would have my mind on other things. Throughout the deployment, I got emails almost on a daily basis (sometimes I got lucky with twice in one day) and phone calls every 3-4 days. We didn't have the luxury of skype since we weren't aware it existed but we did video chat once through MSN and that was amazing. I was so glad I was able to see him. His deployment was meant to be 6 months and he was supposed to come back in early January. I was so excited because that meant he would be state-side for our anniversary. Unfortunately, in November I got a call from him saying he wouldn't be coming on time. Instead, he's becoming late.

We got the news that he was extended into mid-February. Slowly this deployment was turning into 8 months instead of 6. I was so upset. I didn't want him gone anymore but what could I do? I had to get through it and support him. My friends and family kept me super busy and occupied to keep my mind off of him being gone. Slowly but surely February rolled around and I got more and more excited as his deployment was coming to an end. Once he told me the for sure date that he was going to come home, disaster struck. I had two tests and tons of schoolwork and I couldn't leave for his homecoming. I was devastated. The thing I was looking forward to most was jumping into his arms once he got off that white bus and I couldn't do it. He got to see everyone else be welcomed home as he went back to his barracks room. I felt horrible. However, a week after he came home, I went to North Carolina and got to spend a weekend with him before he took his post-deployment leave in March. It was the best feeling ever. My heart never beat so fast (except when we got married).

It was the best feeling in the entire world to know that we did it. We made it through an 8 month deployment and our love had grown so much over those months. The kiss felt like the first I had ever had and seeing how happy he was to see me was priceless. I hope the rest of you will share your deployment story and link up with Miss Amber!

No comments: