Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Change (and some adorable pictures)

No, I won't be talking about Obama or politics but there are some things in my life that are about to change.

Remember when I mentioned that we were going to move to Orlando, Florida after Mike got out of the Marines? Well, that is becoming less and less likely the more we are living on our own. Why? Money. Right now I'm working part-time at a grocery store to make some extra money but that money right now is being used for credit card payments (since we both have a lot). My credit card debt is half way gone while his is still very high. I hate credit cards. It's so easy to spend a lot of money and not worry about paying it back until it bites you in the ass. Hopefully with this check I'm getting tomorrow I can put another dent in my credit card bill.

Anyway, I was super bummed to think that we weren't going to be living in Florida. I love Orlando and the weather down there. Plus, who wouldn't love going to Disney all the time? I know I'd be there at least every weekend. However, I think something else is being planned out for us instead. We have "unofficially" made the decision to move back to Chicago. Not necessary by choice but because we would have so many resources available to us. Our families live there (or at least nearby) so if we needed them, they would be right there. We have a good amount of friends there and we know where everything is. Don't get me wrong, I do miss Chicago a lot but I wasn't planning on returning anytime soon. Maybe something is telling me that I need to be Chicago for a while before I move away again for an even longer period of time? Who knows. Only time will tell how good or bad that decision was. Right now, it seems like that decision is the best one for us despite the fact that we both wanted to escape the winter for a few years. Hopefully I can find a job and go to school there while Mike is going to school too. It will be stressful but worth it.

One other change that we are considering is getting a dog. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs. I think they are adorable and are great companions and members of a family. We were thinking about getting a Shiba Inu which is the smallest breed of Japanese dogs and they are so cute when they are puppies and so pretty once they are fully grown. They come in different colors so we are not sure which one to get. I personally want either the white or red. I have a feeling Mike will want the black one only because they look more like a husky or malamute. I do have a couple problems with getting a dog right now:

1) No one is ever home. I believe a dog should have a lot of attention. Especially when it's a puppy. Neither one of us are home everyday or even a few days out of the week for it to be worth it.
2) Money. We don't have the money right now to pay for a puppy or anything else that comes with it like neutering/spaying, food, vaccinations, registrations, etc.
3) Space. We don't have the space. Our apartment is small and even for a small dog, they could take five steps and make it to the other side of the apartment.
4) Commitment. I have commitment issues for dogs. I'm not a heartless person but I know that once we get a dog, I'm going to get attached to it and then when the time comes to put it asleep, I'll be heartbroken. I'm already dreading it with the dog I left behind in Chicago. It's very painful and I'm dreading it. However, I know once we get the dog, I wouldn't trade the time I had with it for anything.
5) Children. No, we don't have any children or plan on having them anytime soon but dogs are like children. They need attention and you can't leave them in the house alone for long periods of time which restricts me and my husband doing things like going out for long nights out or going on vacation without having to find someone to either dogsit or a kennel (which is more $$)
6) Moving. We are moving 7-9 months and the dog would still be a puppy (if we got it right now) and it would be much more stressful to move with a dog and have all of it's things.

So, ultimately, I think we will get a dog but we are going to wait until we move back to Chicago. But, I can't help myself. They are so stinkin' cute!!

Red Shiba Inu Puppy
Sesame Shiba Inu Puppy
Cream Shiba Inu Adult
Black Shiba Inu Adult

No comments: