Friday, November 5, 2010

100th Post! Must read!life, prayers, sad

Today is my 100th post. Even though I should probably blog about something happy and uplifting, something caught my eye today on facebook and I just couldn't let it go.

Life is short. We catch ourselves saying this but yet, we spend a lot of time fighting with people we love, making enemies, hating people, etc. Even if you aren't a "hater" you can't tell me that there aren't people that don't make you roll your eyes every now and then.

It is the truth. A lot of times we take advantage of the time we have with people and don't treasure everything that is given to us. We complain about not having this or that (I'm also guilty of this) and yet there are people who don't have any of it or don't even have the chance to live life like we do. There are many individuals who don't get the chance to live because they lost the battle early on.

Today on facebook, a girl who was 20 years old died of a rare form of ovarian cancer. Can you imagine being in her shoes? Knowing you are going to die? I cringe at the thought. I want to cry every time I think about it. Everyone has that one question in their head: what happens after you die? The scary part is that no one really knows. You can have beliefs in what will happen and think that this or that will happen but you won't know for sure until it does. No, I'm not atheist or saying I don't believe in the after life or anything like that. It's just the mere fact that the afterlife is a big unknown.

It takes a lot of courage and strength to fight something like that. Something that could kill you. I had a friend who lost the battle two years ago. I still can't even imagine how amazing she was at doing everything possible to live her life to the fullest before she couldn't anymore. Despite the chemo she was given and all the pain medication she was on, she was rarely in a hospital. Never gained weight (like some chemo/cancer patients do) and always had a smile on her face. She was only 20 years old and month shy of her 21st birthday when she passed away.

How do you cope with something like that? How do you comfort someone who lost their daughter, sister, girlfriend? I couldn't. I wouldn't know how. This girl who passed away from ovarian cancer did not live long with it which is a relief to me that she didn't have to suffer very long before God took her into his arms. It really doesn't hit you that children and young adults die from cancer and other diseases everyday until it hits home and it affects you. I didn't know this girl personally, but I do remember seeing her in high school from time to time. Knowing that I've passed by her and seen her make it that much more difficult to comprehend that someone so young has left us.

Say a prayer. Thank God for everything you have. Life is definitely shorter than what we make it out to be. Hug those you care about, kiss those you love, tell them you love them. I've been privileged enough to live 23 years and to wake up every morning. So, thank you Lord for giving me life, letting me live it, and for giving me the air to breathe everyday.

R.I.P. Darleen Felten & Stephanie Jones

No comments: