Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Happy 235th Birthday USMC!

As much as I would love to just have an ordinary wordless wednesday, I can't. Today is a special day for all Marines, Marine wives/girlfriends, fiances, and their families. Today we celebrate the 235th anniversary of the founding of the United Sates Marine Corps.

Dear Marine Corps,

I dreaded you. The moment my (then) boyfriend told me that he wanted to become a part of you, I was petrified. I didn't know what to expect. Surprisingly, the moment he left my arms and was with you, I didn't cry. I sat in the car and drove home like I was just dropping him off at his mother's house. I waited anxiously for letters from him but they rarely came. You were busy training him to become a Marine and I understood that so I waited patiently. When it came time to leave to see my new Marine, I was excited and anxious. I wanted to see what he turned into. You changed his life for the better. I will always be grateful for that. You made him the man that I married and the one I will love forever.

Not only did you make him the best man I know and a wonderful Marine, but you also made a great impact on our relationship. While you decided to ship him away to the sandbox and leave me alone for 8 months, I didn't know if I could do it. You proved me wrong. You showed me that I had the strength to stand by him as his wife and as a member of the fewer, prouder, silent ranks. I never knew our relationship and love for each other had become so strong that we could endure months without contact, without the ability to call one another when we needed to, and without the luxury of being in his arms. You proved to me that love can conquer all and that I had the strength needed to become a part of this amazing Marine family.

Last but not least, you brought people into my life that I never would have imagined meeting. Because you brought me with my husband, I have met some really fantastic wives who share the same pride as I do for their Marines. I have bonded with many women and created this blog to find them. I can guarantee that if it weren't for you, I wouldn't have met or come in contact with such fantastic women and men who are a part of this family.

So, thank you. For strengthening my relationship with my husband, unveiling my inner strength, making both me and my husband better people, and for giving me such wonderful understanding friends through this hellistic process you call an enlistment. For that, I salute you and all your family members for giving us the great freedom we have and for everything you have given me.



"There are about 1.5 million of us in the active forces that wear a uniform. If you add all the reserves and the National Guard, the total is somewhere close to 3 million. That is only 1% of our population. We are a military at war, not a nation at war. Unfortunately, many Americans just don't get it. But, YOU get it."
- BGen Robert E. Milstead Jr.

"If the Army or the Navy ever gaze on heaven's scenes,
they will find the gates are guarded by United States Marines."
-Unknown

No comments: