Tuesday, April 10, 2012

It's Tax Season!

My husband and I decide to go to H&R Block to get our taxes done this year instead of relying on either ourselves or our family members to do it for us. We figure: "Hey, we have got nothing to lose here. These guys are professionals and know what they are doing. They should be able to give us the best chance to get money back on our taxes." That's the logical thinking right?

Wrong. It would happen that we get the one woman who has NO clue about tax laws. Now, I'm no expert at doing taxes so maybe I should keep my mouth shut but knowing me, I probably won't. :)

Anyway, the deadline is coming up so we are really trying to hussle getting our things together. We had made several appointments and had to cancel them because either we didn't have the time or my husband was missing tax info. Well, we finally got over there on Saturday just to find out that we owe a total amount of $841 for both state and federal tax. I sat there dumbfounded. How is that possible? How could we owe money? I remember while Mike was enlisted he got money back every year as did I. So, how could this happen?

Apparently, the woman who was doing our taxes was unaware that in the state of Illinois (which is where we are both from and where my husband's legal address was while enlisted) exempts all enlisted (and maybe reserve but that I'm not sure of) military personell from state taxes, they just have to pay federal tax. Makes sense and makes things better for us. Well, we are going today to get things straightened out and to hopefully walk out getting money back instead of owing it!

How did you fair this tax season? Did you get money back or did you have to owe? Any tax horror stories?






2 comments:

Allie said...

I somehow exempt myself from federal taxes on my paycheck and owed the government a lot of money :( Fail.

WhisperingWriter said...

Our taxes were easy this year.

But one year we used H&R Block and also had a clueless lady :/ That was not fun.